DIY yourself to health with this wonderful homemade cough syrup recipe! All the ingredients are easy to find and it’s simple to make. The original version of this recipe appeared in the 1982 edition of Herbally Yours by Penny C. Royal. The author prefers a thicker syrup, so she added more honey and doesn’t use any water, but overall it’s very similar to the recipe Penny recommends. And obviously, due to the honey content, this syrup should not be used with an infant under the age of 12 months.
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger OR 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, grated (optional)
- 2 Tbs raw honey
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs water (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOMEMADE COUGH SYRUP
- Place all ingredients in a small jar with a tight lid and shake to combine or whisk vigorously in a medium bowl. The mixture will stay fresh for several days, especially if stored in the refrigerator, but is most effective when made fresh every two days.
- Take 2-3 spoonfuls every few hours or as needed. (I find it very drying to the throat, so taking a dose more than once an hour becomes an irritant for me – you’ll find your right balance easily.)
Still coughing? Here’s our full respiratory protocol for the supplement support your body needs!