Dr. Shawn Postma
Medice, cura te ipsum
(Physician, Heal Thyself)
After many years of going from doctor to doctor to figure out why he was having a medley of strange symptoms, Dr. Postma eventually figured out that he had Lyme disease and toxic mold illness.
Having already tested negative for Lyme disease once before, he discovered how to do a provoked test that ultimately led to a CDC-positive result (which is extremely uncommon), nearly 19 years after being bit by a tick.
Throughout his journey, he has come to learn and understand what it takes to truly heal the body, mind, and spirit, especially for people struggling with complex illnesses.
“Stress is often at the heart of many health-related issues, whether mental, emotional, or physical. Not only is stress one of the primary contributors to disease, it worsens the disease process and impedes healing as well. I am passionate about helping my patients get a better handle on this missing piece to their health and to cultivate lasting wellness.”
- Lyme disease, mold toxicity, mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), EBV reactivation, breast implant illness (BII), chronic fatigue, anxiety, adrenal insufficiency, hypothyroid, iron deficiency anemia, PMS, adrenal insufficiency, grief, life-transitions, fibromyalgia, cancer, and much more.
- Undergraduate- University of Puget Sound, 2005. Degree in Sociology.
- Doctorate- Bastyr University, 2013. Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine.
- Residency- Integrative Medica, 2019. IV Therapy, Oncology, Chronic Illness.
Philosophy of Care
Dr. Postma believes that health and wellness are much more than just eating healthy and getting exercise. It also includes effective stress management, regular detoxification, balancing hormones, community connectedness, and finding deeper meaning in life. In general, he strives to treat the underlying cause of disease from a holistic and individualized perspective, rather than just giving a bandaid for symptoms.
In addition to offering naturopathic medicine, Dr. Postma specializes in addressing issues that impact the nervous system and the body’s ability to heal, such as mold toxicity, underlying chronic infections, and stress. He has received advanced training in biofeedback and is a HeartMath® Certified Practitioner, as well as a Certified Practitioner in the Walsh Detoxification Program.
Prior to moving to Salt Lake City, UT in 2018, Dr. Postma had his own private practice in the Seattle area for approximately 4 years. He also served as faculty at Bastyr University, teaching physical medicine, counseling, homeopathy, and business.
A few unique qualities about Dr. Postma are his perseverance, compassionate presence, and openness. He is a self-taught juggler, nature-enthusiast, family man, and he loves learning about other cultural approaches to medicine and healing—both past and present.
- Naturopathic medicine
- HRV Training
- Mind-Body Medicine
- IV Therapy
- Bioidential Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Botanical Medicine
- Craniosacral Therapy
- Food Allergy / Sensitivity Testing
- Constitutional Homeopathy
Trainings / Certifications
- Mold Testing and Treatment- 2020
- ILADS Lyme Fundamentals- 2020
- Walsh Detoxification Program- 2020
- HeartMath Certified Practitioner- 2019
- Advanced IV Therapy- 2015